BUSM060 Corporate Governance
The module introduces students to key theories, concepts and issues in corporate governance. It critically explores corporate governance as an embedded practice and provides insights into how local cultures and developments in local contexts have impacted upon and shaped the development of corporate governance systems and practices and how these local corporate governance systems and practices are challenged by globalisation. Within this broad framework case studies provide detailed insights into specific aspects of corporate governance.
Organisation of module
A weekly lecture: The lecture summarises key issues in corporate governance.
A weekly seminar: In the seminar specific issues are explored and discussed in detail.
By the end of the module, you should be able to:
- appreciate the development of the concept of corporate governance
- critically assess different theories of corporate governance and the literature on corporate governance
- understand the interrelationship between corporate governance and the context in which it is located
- outline developments in corporate governance and appreciate the reasons for these developments
- critically evaluate issues in corporate governance
- appreciate the impact that changes in local corporate governance practices can have on the well-being of people and the planet
- develop ideas for research in corporate governance
60% Exam and 40% Coursework