Dr Elena Baglioni
Lecturer in Global Supply Chains
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44 (0)20 7882 8593Room Number: Room 3.44e, Bancroft Building, Mile End Campus
Student drop-in and feedback hours
Programme Director Management MSc
Elena’s research interests include global value/commodity chains, the global economy of food, agrarian political economy, and historical processes of development in least developed countries with particular reference to sub-Saharan Africa. Her background is in political science, history, and development studies. Her most recent and current research focuses on the development of export horticulture in Senegal, where she looks at the evolution of fresh fruit and vegetables commodity chains linking Senegal and Europe, and the emergence of local firms and indigenous capitalist development. She recently won a post-doctoral scholarship from the Future Agricultural Consortium, at the Institute of Development Studies (University of Sussex) to investigate local, national and international processes of land acquisitions, and investment in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Elena Baglioni 2017, Labour control and the labour question in global production networks: exploitation and disciplining in Senegalese export horticulture, Journal of Economic Geography, early view
- Elena Baglioni, Liam Campling and Elizabeth Havice 2017, ‘The Nature of the Firm in Global Value Chains', in G. Baars & A. Spicer (eds). The Corporation: A Critical, Multi-Disciplinary Handbook., Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp.314-325
- Elena Baglioni 2015, Straddling Contract and Estate Farming: Accumulation Strategies of Senegalese Horticultural Exporters, Journal of Agrarian Change, 15(1): 17–42.
- Elena Baglioni and Peter Gibbon 2013, ‘Land Grabbing, Large- and Small-scale Farming: what can evidence and policy from 20th century Africa contribute to the debate?’, in Third World Quarterly, 34(9): 1558-1581
- Elena Baglioni and Corrado Tornimbeni 2009, ‘Poverty in Sub-Saharan Africa: Approaches and Policies’, in afriche & orienti, year XI, No. 2
- Elena Baglioni 2005, ‘The New International Poverty Reduction Strategies: The Case of Senegal’, (translation from Italian), www.equilibri.net
- Elena Baglioni 2004, ‘Poverty Reduction in Senegal: An Analysis of National and International Policies’, (translation from Italian), in Africa, Year LIX, N. 3-4: 285-315