Professor Colin Haslam
Professor of Accounting/Finance
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: +44 (0)20 7882 8984Room Number: Room 4.39, Bancroft Buidling, Mile End Campus
Student drop-in and feedback hours
Friday 1:00 - 3:00pm
Programme Director Accounting and Management MSc
- Accounting for Business Models (BUSM070)
- Accounting for Value Management (BUSM071)
- Dissertation for Accounting and Management (BUSM105)
- Continued Professional Development workshops for MSc Accounting And Management (BUSM122)
My research has progressively consolidated work on financialization into a unique ‘business model’ conceptual framework and this is being used this to explore how contradictions, embedded in stakeholder networks and interactions, impact upon a reporting entity’s financial viability. This business model approach has been set out in a series of articles and reports on the nature of business models. This is now consolidated in a text ‘Business Models Redefined: Strategies for a Financialized World (Routledge, 2012) and also a collected works ‘Business Models’ (Routledge, Dec 2014). In addition to undertaking commissioned reports (Institute of Chartered Accountants Scotland –ICAS) and delivering special issues for leading journals I been an adviser to the European Financial Reporting Advisory Group (EFRAG) and currently advising the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP)/ Greenhouse Gas Protocol (GHG) Technical Working Group 5 on carbon risk disclosure by Financial Institutions.
Recent Publications: Books/Reports
- Haslam, C. J., Tsitsianis., & Katechos. (2017). Stress testing the adoption of Fair Value Accounting (FVA): Fragility and instability in financialized firms. In R. Roslender (Ed.), The Routledge Companion to Critical Accounting - Routledge Companions in Business, Management and Accounting. Routledge.
- Haslam, C. J. (2016). Accountancy, Finance and Banking: The Global Reach of the Professions. In M. Dent, I. Bourgeault, D. Jean-Louis, & E. Kuhlmann (Eds.). Routledge.
- Haslam, C.J.,,Bowman, A., Froud, J., Williams, K., Leaver, A. (2015). What a waste: Outsourcing and how it goes wrong. K. Williams, S. Johal, & J. Froud (Eds.), Manchester University Press.
- Haslam C. J. (2014). Business Models. Routledge.
- Haslam, C.J Andersson, T., Tsitsianis, N., & Yin, Y. P. (2012). Redefining Business Models. Routledge.
Recent Publications: Articles
- Haslam C.J., (2017). Rethinking Financial Reporting: Reinstating the Social License of Limited Liability. Accounting, Economics, and Law: A Convivium. doi: 10.1515/ael-2017-0046
- Haslam C.J., (2017). International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS): Stress Testing in Financialized Reporting Entities. Accounting, Economics, and Law: A Convivium vol. 7, (2) 93-109. doi: 10.1515/ael-2017-0016
- Haslam C, TSITSIANIS N, Theodosopoulos G et al. (2017). Accounting for voluntary hospices in England: A business model perspective. Critical Perspectives on Accounting. doi: 1016/j.cpa.2017.10.001
- Maielli, G., & Haslam, C. (2016). General motors: A financialized account of corporate behaviour 1909–1940. Accounting Forum. doi: 10.1016/j.accfor.2016.10.001
- Haslam, C. J., Tsitsianis, N., Hoinaru, R., Katechos, G., & Andersson, T. (2015). Stress Testing International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS): Accounting for Stability and the Public Good in a Financialized World. Accounting, Economics and Law - A Convivium. doi: 10.1515/ael-2015-0006
- Haslam, C. J., Tsitsianis, N., Andersson, T., & Gleadle, P. (2015). Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITS): A new business model in the FTSE100. Accounting Forum. doi: 10.1016/j.accfor.2015.10.003
- Haslam, C. J., Tsitsianis, N., Andersson, T., & Gleadle, P. (2015). Accounting for Business Models: Increasing the Visibility of Stakeholders. Journal of Business Models, 3(1), 62-80. doi: 10.5278/ojs.jbm.v3i1.1066
- Haslam, C. J., Andersson, T., Lee, E., Yin, Y. P., & Theodosoplous, G. (2014). Accounting for the financialized UK and US national business models. Critical Perspectives on Accounting, Online only, 1-14. doi: 10.1016/j.cpa.2012.10.006
- Haslam, C. J., Butlin, J., Andersson, T., Malamatenios, J., & Lehman, G. (2014). Accounting for carbon and reframing disclosure: A business model approach. Accountng Forum, 38(3), 200-211. doi: 10.1016/j.accfor.2014.04.002
- Haslam, C. J., Gleadle, P., & Yin, Y. P. (2014). Critical Accounts and Perspectives on Financialization. Critical Perspectives on Accounting. doi: 10.1016/j.cpa.2012.11.010
- Haslam, C. J., Andersson, T., Tsitsianis, N., & Yin, Y. P. (2013). Apples Financial Success: The Precariousness of Power Exercised in Global Value Chains. Accounting Forum, 37(4), 268-279. doi: 10.1016/j.accfor.2013.05.001
- Haslam, C. J., Gleadle, P., & Yin, P. (2012). Critical accounts and perspectives on financialization. Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 25(1), 1-4. doi: 10.1016/j.cpa.2012.11.010
- Haslam, C. J., & Haslam, C. (2012). The Private Equity Business Model: On terra firma or shifting sands?. Accounting Forum, 36(1), 27-37. doi: 10.1016/j.accfor.2012.01.002
Current Doctoral Students
- Mario Abela, 'Implications of business models for corporate reporting'
- Razvan Hoinaru, 'Accounting for IFRS: A Political Economy Perspective'
PhD Supervision Completions
John Malamatenios (2015)