Professor Mike Noon
Deputy Head of School / Professor of Human Resource Management
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: +44 (0)20 7882 2709Room Number: Mile End, Bancroft Building, Room 4.22b
Student drop-in and feedback hours
Wednesday 10:30 - 12:30pm
Deputy Head of School
Member of the School’s Steering Group (Senior Management Team)
Professor of Human Resource Management
Mike Noon's research explores the effects of contemporary management practices on the work of employees. His main research interest is equality, diversity and discrimination, particularly in relation to ethnic minorities. In earlier work he explored the disadvantages faced by ethnic minorities in gaining access to work and training, then broadened the scope to examine the effects of gender, ethnicity, disability and age on the work experiences of UK employees using large scale survey data. More recently he has returned to studying the experiences of discrimination for employees through case studies and interviews.
His work also explores the theoretical and conceptual underpinning of equality policy. His approach challenges the assumptions behind mainstream equal opportunity policies in organisations and he argues for the pursuit of more progressive approaches, particularly using the new legal provisions in the 2010 Equality Act. He has been invited to present his ideas to various equality policy forums including the Government Equality Office, the Higher Education Leadership Foundation and the Equality Challenge Unit national conference and the Metropolitan Police Service.
As well as having research findings reported in the national media, he has published widely in academic journals.
He is a former associate editor of Human Relations, and is a member of its editorial board.
Selected Journal Articles:
- Oswick, C. and Noon, M. (2014) ‘Discourses of diversity, equality and inclusion: trenchant formulations or transient fashions?’, British Journal of Management, 25 (1), 23-39.
- Noon, M., Healy, G., Forson, C. and Oikelome, F. (2013) ‘The equality effects of the “hyper-formalisation” of selection’, British Journal of Management, 24 (3): 333-346.
- Noon, M. (2012) ‘Simply the best? The case for using threshold selection in hiring decisions’, Human Resource Management Journal, 22 (1): 76-88.
- Noon, M (2010) The shackled runner: time to rethink positive discrimination? Work, Employment and Society, 24(4).
- Noon, M., Blyton, P. and Morrell, K. (2013) The Realities of Work (fourth edition) Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Healy, G., Kirton, G. and Noon, M. (eds) (2010) Equality, inequalities and diversity - contemporary challenges and strategies. Basingstoke, Palgrave
- Heery, E. and Noon, M. (2010) A Dictionary of Human Resource Management, (second edition) Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Current Doctoral Students
1st Supervisor - Samuel Asante-Nnuro.
2nd Supervisor - Nadia Ahmad, Emily Yarrow, Pedro Trespaderne-Fernandez (PT)
PhD Supervision Completions
Simon Roberts 'Gay men, sexual orientation and the workplace'. Completed 2007. Now Senior Lecturer at Bournemouth University